Tomica is a well-known Japanese diecast brand that has been around since 1970. Most of the cars produced are miniatures of Japanese auto brands (Honda, Suzuki, Toyota, Nissan, etc.). These cars can be found in retail stores in North America, but older models can be harder to find and somewhat expensive to buy online. I've been acquiring cars that have been released in more recent years (since 2007 or so), but do have a few earlier vintage models which have nice speed. Have more to explore here, but my current collection shows their strong potential.
- I race on a two-lane, 27 foot Magic Derby track (equivalent to about one-third of a mile). The Derby track is 22% wider than a typical Hot Wheels orange track, allowing me to race some of the wider castings.
- I categorize my cars into speed tiers with 5-Stars being the best. The 5-star performers all have times under 2.500 seconds.
- I only count the fastest casting in my rankings for a specific car/brand.
- I've applied graphite to the cars, which really brings out the speed of the Tomica's
Fastest Tomica Cars
I have about 30 Tomica's and most of them are fast enough to qualify, which is impressive. Most of these cars feature an all-metal body with a plastic base, with some exceptions. There are a few standard wheels types and most of them are quick and react well to graphite. There a few vintage models here that are fast, so will be looking for older models to see what I can find.
- I have 7 cars at the 4-star level, with the Honda Odyssey leading the way (which was nearly a 5-star car).
- The vintage Ferrari 308 GTB is one of the fastest Featherweight cars